2010-11-25

Lost and Running

Last night, I was watching the second half of The Biggest Loser Thanksgiving special and I realized that for the first time, I was watching knowing it can be done. I used to watch the show (in the first couple of seasons) and would be thinking, sitting in my couch "Sure they loose weight, they're on the ranch 24/7, they don't have to go to work, dinner parties, etc. They know they're being filmed all the time (not loosing face would be a huge motivator for me). They have personal trainers and they have the time to go to the gym for a couple of hours each day. I could lose weight under those circumstances for sure. But I can't have this life, not even for a week."
And I would stay on the couch.
Last night, I watched and thought quite the opposite "You don't have to go to the ranch to loose. You're better off doing it from home, then healthy habits are really a true part of your life when you reach goal." And that's part of the difference, the reason why I have stuck with it so far. Because I'm not expecting the change to come from the outside in. I know that the ONLY factor for success is ME. The sad thing is, it can't be given to anyone, and there really isn't any advice that will stick if your mind isn't really into it. Nothing will work for you if you expect to stick to a recipe or copy-paste from someone else's plan. It took me 12 years to figure that out, 12 years to really be ready to make the changes required. The important thing is to never giving up hope that one day, you'll be ready to finish. I've started many times but I've never finished. I can feel this time will be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment