2010-09-09

Video Killed the Radio Star

As I finished my run today, I looked at my iPod to see the stats my new Nike+ sensor collected and look at the data as I walked the few meters I still had left to get home. I was very annoyed to see that for the second time this week, it did not register my run at all! I really like the little graphs you get from this data and even if it is a little trivial, it's part of my motivation for a run: seeing the little graph going up and down and the cursor on the Nike site getting closer to the next level.

It got me thinking on how dependent on technology I've become. When I was cheering on my Dad and cousins at the Montreal Marathon on Sunday, my uncle pointed out the vast majority of runners who had iPods or MP3 players on them, running to music. He was surprised by it, he's been a runner for over 30 years (he didn't really run the marathon due to injury, but ran parts of it with our family members for support) and he's never run with music. I couldn't imagine going for a run without my iPod right now, but simply because of the voice telling me "run now" and "walk now" from the C25K app. I really rely on this to push me to run longer. I don't really notice the music (I couldn't name one song that came up on my run today), but I anticipate that voice!
How 'bout you? Are you technology-dependent?

No comments:

Post a Comment