2010-08-13

We Could Be Heroes

I have a role model, a hero almost. He’s my uncle, my dad’s big brother. I admire how he’d take pleasure in the little things in life. Like growing a garden. Woodworking. Biking. Loving his wife, his life. He’s showed me that a balanced lifestyle is important. That you choose how you spend your time and that turning off the TV and the computer opens up your schedule for a lot more. That you get back when you give to others but that it’s just as important to invest in yourself. He opened up my mind to the wonders of travel, the enriching experiences you live when learning about a new culture, or even just a new corner of your own city. I was not able to see it for a long time, but he’s shown me to love the earth, to love humanity and to love myself. I consider him like a second father, love him like one. I admire him because it seemed so simple, so natural to him. Biking to work, rain or shine, snow or blistering heat, he was always motivated.

He passed away in April 2010. Earth day. Fell down a well at work. Can’t even wrap my head around it and quite frankly, I still struggle every day with the fact. He was 57, in top shape. He’s also one reason I want to adopt a healthy lifestyle. I want to live by his example. So that a little bit of him always stays with me. So that, if there’s a place you go after death, I can make him proud from that place.

I will be spending the week-end with my extended family for the first time since the funeral. It’s going to be a very emotional week-end, but most likely only underneath the surface. My family doesn’t like to show their feelings much, but the love runs deep, and we all know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment